Finding Love After 50: Tips for Senior Dating
If you happen to be single, this could be the ideal time to put yourself out there and start a relationship. But where do you begin? For starters, you might take comfort in knowing you're not alone. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are 19.5 million people aged 65 or older who are also single. That's a lot of fish in the sea. And, to help you ease into those waters, we've pulled together a list of our best dating tips:
1. Tell people. No one knows you better than your close friends and family, so be sure to let them know you're open to finding someone right now. Then the next time they meet someone who might be a match, they'll be thinking of you! Plus, there's a solid chance for a strong connection since they have your best interest at heart.
2. Keep an open mind. It has probably been a few years since your last first date. It's normal for this to feel like new territory. Just remember to keep an open mind when it comes to "types." Personality traits you initially think you'd be drawn to may not always result in a spark. Every personality is unique, and so is compatibility. When you allow someone to express his or her true self and reveal their heart to you, it could turn into a lovely relationship that you never saw coming.
3. Try something new. Exploring new activities is not only a great way to meet people, but also expands your options for things to do on a date! You never know who you'll meet in a painting class. And, if you've never been a ballroom dancer or tried yoga, this could be the perfect time to discover a hobby while getting to know someone new in your life. Other exciting date-destinations could include an art gallery, movie, concert, local garden, tennis lesson, wine tasting, or cooking class. Heck, try it all!
4. Embrace online dating. The stigma of online dating is a thing of the past. Today, the majority of Americans view online dating as an effective (and fully acceptable) method for meeting potential partners. Not only that, it's no longer just for singles in their 20s or 30s. Specialty dating websites that cater to seniors are on the rise, and they're providing incredibly worthwhile connections. The Pew Research Center published a poll that revealed online dating among those 55 to 64 has doubled within two years. And Match.com, one of the most popular dating sites, says people 50+ represent its fastest-growing share of users. It's certainly an avenue to consider.
If you're unsure about the security of online dating, most sites offer safety tips and are helpful to review.
5. Relax and enjoy the moment. One of the most important things you can do is be yourself! Come at this from a position of self-love and empowerment. Have a clear picture of what you want, then relax into each moment. Let friendships blossom naturally. Focus on having a great time, and see where things go without pressure or heavy expectations of marriage. If you're not feeling it, that's okay. Ultimately, you want to be with someone who brings out the best in you, not the stress in you. Listen to your instincts, and you've got this!
If you're ready to ask someone out or you're in a position to say "yes" to meeting up in real life, we've created a list of perfect first-date questions that are designed to help you get to know each other faster and more intimately. Download the free printable below and enjoy an open and honest conversation, compliments of Resort Lifestyle Communities. Here's to finding love again!
Chartiers Bend Retirement Resort to Host Grand Opening March 5
1001 Hastings Park Drive, Bridgeville, Pennsylvania Thursday, March 5, 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. BRIDGEVILLE, PA – Today, Gina and John McGraw, live-in managers of the newly constructed Chartiers Bend Retirement Resort, announced they will host a grand opening to introduce Chartiers Bend's un...Keep Reading